Friday, April 12, 2013

21 Reasons to Stop Saying "21st Century Teacher"

Just saying... Why are we still talking about it... just get on with it all ready.

Very funny post from Richard Byrne 


21 Reasons to Stop Saying "21st Century Teacher"

This afternoon I saw a blog post titled 27 Ways To Be A 21st Century Teacher. 22 of the 27 items in that list could have been 50 years ago. And 24 of the 27 items are things that I did as a sixth grade student in 1990 (yes, I coded thanks to Logo Writer). Because of this I Tweeted the following in response to seeing the list;

A couple of people asked me about this Tweet so please allow me to elaborate on why I'm tired of people saying "21st Century Teacher" as if it means something.

1. We live in the 21st Century. If you're teaching today, you're a 21st Century teacher.
2. We live in the 21st Century. Even if you're using older methods (some of which have a lot of validity) you're still a 21st Century teacher unless you're going 88.8 miles per hour in a DeLorean to get to work every morning.
3. Unless you plan on teaching for another 87 years, you're not going to be a 22nd Century teacher so don't try to be all curve-jumping. Again, exceptions made for people commuting in a DeLorean at 88.8mph.....READ MOR
E

No comments:

Post a Comment